To join a Lions Club, is by Invitation, but applications are encouraged from all members of the community.
Membership is open to men and women over the age of 18 years and of good moral character and reputation.
The following procedure applies for nomination of new Club members:
1. Club members contact the President, Secretary or Membership Committee member giving the following details:
a. The name of the candidate they wish to nominate.
b. As much information on the candidates as possible e.g. occupation, address, education, interest.
c. The members who would support the nomination i.e. likely seconder and two referees.
2. If the proposed member is known to the committee, instructions will be given to the Secretary to issue the formal nomination to the proposer.
3. Should the proposed member be unknown to the Committee, instructions are to be given to the Secretary to request a resume for further consideration.
4. After the resume has been returned and found to be favourable by the Committee, the formal nomination paper is issued to the proposer for completion.
5. The completed nomination paper should be returned to the Secretary by the proposer as soon as possible.
6. The names of any proposed members are then circulated to all members at least 21 days prior to a Board meeting so that members may comment on or speak to any member of the Committee or Secretary.
7. At the Committee meeting held immediately after the expiration of the 21 days, the Committee will vote on the election or otherwise of the nominated member.
8. The candidate, proposer and seconder are immediately notified by email of the candidates election and on payment of the entrance fee, pro rata annual dues, they become a member of the club.
9. It is then traditional for an induction to take place at the next meeting where the proposer, seconder and referees introduce the new member to the club.
10. A member of the committee is permitted to propose or second a candidate for membership or act as a referee. If you need further assistance, the Secretary will be happy to assist you.